Thursday, December 8, 2016

"Evolutionary Escalation: A Counter Promise."


"Evolutionary Escalation: A Counter Promise."
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr. MD

One of the earliest problems that I faced when I started playing EDH was the fact that I chose a commander who always wanted to smash face and I built a deck around him/her/it that reflected this nature. I spent a lot of time making the attacks strong instead of talking to the people around the table and when I realized that I was always assessed as an early threat and also taken out early I tried to sweet talk my way into alliances but I noticed that I did not have any cards that could benefit my opponents and so in the end I always get taken out via the gangbang method. 3 players to one.

Of course I have developed my Simic and Dimir color themed decks so that I have a little bit of control and things to benefit those around me in multiplayer EDH but I am always on the look out for cards that could help Skullbriar and my favorite deck have something to offer.

So I was happy when I saw Evolutionary Escalation since it was in the Golgari colors. The 2 mana costing enchantment still is in theme to most of my creature based aggro decks since at the beginning of my upkeep I get to put three +1/+1 counters on a target creature I control.

Yet it offers a political tool especially to the other guys on the table who needs a bigger creature or who needs to off another player who is the bigger threat. Giving three +1/+1 counters to a target creature that your opponent controls can go a big way in my survival in the political side of EDH and maybe have a chance of winning in the end games. 

So finally one more piece to help me. And in an ever evolving EDH environment more cards are always welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment