Monday, May 9, 2016

"Don't Bring Me flowers"

"Don't Bring Me flowers"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr. MD

She once said , "Don't bring me flowers when I die"
I remembered nodding with a lie 
She said without saying
bring them while I am alive
Let me savor them now
There are of no use when I am gone
Let me see you smile
and we can laugh together as we dined
I can still be your mom. 
You can still be my son.
Come on over and bring me flowers now.

One Valentine's I brought her a bouquet
the flowers of which she promptly shared
I asked her why she was giving them away
"Look at them son , they have no flowers for themselves."
And I had to laugh at her giving heart
giving what was hers to those who lacked.


Don't bring me flowers she said
but I still do today
A defiant wish of remembrance
To one I will always hold so dear.

No comments:

Post a Comment