Tuesday, November 3, 2015

"Milling or Swinging: Dread Summons"

"Reminds me of that time I had to wake up..."

"Milling or Swinging: Dread Summons"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.

Sometimes I don't really want to see the end. With Dread Summons however it is kinda hard not to. It is either an opponent empties out their entire library(Milling) or they die to a horde of shamblers(Swinging). I am getting way ahead of myself though so let  me pull back just a little bit.

Commander 2015 has continued the tradition of coming out with great cards that would soon separate you and your cash. Dread Summons is one reason why you should get excited. A win condition is seldom this cheap to cast. 

Two Black Mana and an X cost. Each player mills his or her library for the X amount of mana that you pay to cast this sorcery. So let us assume that you have one of those decks that love to churn up ridiculous amounts of mana and decide to max out your win condition by Milling everyone on the table for 100 mana to the X (although by the time you are able to pull this off opposing players may have much less than that). 

"Throw your tentacles in the air and wave em' like you just don't care" moment. Yeah!
But wait! This card affects you too! Well it doesn't have to be like that. All you need to do is have an Ulamog , The Infinite Gyre( so you don't run out of cards to mill) , Blightsteel Colossus or Darksteel Colossus in your deck and you won't accidentally deck yourself out because these cards will just automatically go back to your deck the moment they hit the graveyard. Now that we have that particular concern out of the way. Let us continue.

So what happens when your opponents have the same Undeckoutable deck?
Well this is how all those Undead will be put to good use. You know , all those 2/2 Undead that was created each time a player milled a creature into his or her graveyard. With at least 3 other players and your own library I see a good zombie count of over 20. All the better to swing with.



Around this time I will look into an opponents eyes with this look:

"So you survived my Milling? Let's see you survive an all out Zombie Assault...On my next turn...and hopefully you didn't already have a mass removal spell in your hand before I so foolishly pissed you off by emptying your entire library to the graveyard.I also hope you don't have something as silly as a pyroclasm in your hand...Or a Rakdos Charm.That would be really really really bad for me."

Dread? I am actually looking forward to add this to my existing Unlimited Zombie Tokenator Sultai EDH deck.So what victory condition do you prefer Milling or Swinging? Leave me a comment below. Thanks for reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment