Sunday, December 29, 2013

"The Unexpected Visitor"


"The Unexpected Visitor"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.

I often talk about Ghosts because they are always around my family but they are not the only things that lurk where we live. 

Some of my family have been rumored to be not so human. I want you to read this story with an open mind. Judge for yourself. 

When I was a young baby , My Lolo was very proud of me. I was his first apo and there was even a time that he hoped to become an Aswang to fly to Manila and see and guard me as I slept at night.

He was right about guarding me though because one night we had a visitor that he did not want me to see. I was a baby and we were staying at our Ancestral House in Dapawan that summer. 

During those times the nights were still dark in the provinces. The lamplight's were few and the vehicles even fewer. When night time fell people stayed home or they might get lost in the dark.People who had no urgent business in the nighttime would prefer to do them in the morning light.

So my lolo was surprised to hear the knock on our back door. It was already close to 10pm in the evening. 

"Who is that?" He asked.

The voice that answered was familiar and he knew who it was right away. It belonged to an old woman who was pushing past her 60's and would have trouble navigating from her house located at least 4 kilometers at the islands North. 

"Why are you here? My Lolo Romy asked courteously. My Mom said that he was holding on to the handle of his bolo as he said this.

"I heard that your Grand son is here. I wish to give him a kiss." The old woman answered.

"I'm sorry but you should best do that in the morning. My grand son is asleep. I am sorry you had to go all the way here for nothing."

There was no answer from beyond the back door and the old woman was gone. My Lolo would not sleep that whole night my mom recounted. He would sit besides me as I slept. Keeping the windows closed and vigilant to any noise in the dark. He was that kind of man.

I miss you Lolo Romy. 



No comments:

Post a Comment