Wednesday, September 11, 2013

"If A Kaiju Really Attacked Manila..."


"If a Kaiju really attacked Manila..."
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.

A few days back my brother told me that he had just watched Pacific Rim for the first time and he instantly regretted not seeing it in 3D when it was still showing in the local theaters. I was reminded of how awesome that movie was and a blog that I buried for awhile because of my board exams.

I instantly liked this film when I saw the trailers. I liked it even more when in the prologue they mentioned that Manila was one of the cities that were first attacked by the Kaiju. There was a lot of yehey's and fist pumping in the movie house (oddly if that really happened a lot of the people in same cinema house would be dead). 


So it got me to thinking , what would really happen if a Kaiju went here? A monster that stands as tall as the buildings in Makati and when killed encompassed several city blocks. 

If this scenario ever happened I am sure that a lot of us would be goners. Dead. Buried. Unless the Philippines has some experimental prototype weapon that they are not showing us then I believe that this would be the Apocalypse for the entire country. A monster the size of the Kaiju could just keep on trampling all over the archipelago for years terrorizing any shoreline and basically making a lot of ports non-viable for trade or travel. Imagine that , the Philippines would be virtually uninhabitable!!! Who would want to live in a place where a 100 foot monster could rears its head any time it pleases and not be stopped by our antiquated Tanks , Planes and Ships? No one. Even now we wait for modernization and even now there are promises but no results. My bet is if we even decide to build our own Jaeger , most of the funds would go to an unknown NGO and non-existent parts would be reported as purchased.And when the Jaeger is off to fight it falls to pieces the moment a gust of wind hits it.



What about foreign aid you say? In the end a Jaeger saved Manila but after the loss of many lives. Politically I do not think that a lot would come to our aid. I sincerely doubt America would commit her fleet to us here even if we are her strategic ally here in the Far East. She is busy trying to build a weird relationship with her creditor China.

Japan might be able to help us because of their proximity. what threatens us  , threatens them as well after all but mostly if they believe that the threat is contained in our area and does not consider going North then I believe that they would just stand by and wait. They would debate over it but they would wait.And let the whole lot of us die in the process.


The same could be said about China. The big bully near our own backyard. Having rid of one enemy and acquiring resources like Spratly's by not doing anything will be priceless and they would probably just watch the Kaiju ravage our major cities in their china phones with TV. 

Our neighboring countries would be the same. They would shore up their defenses. They would prepare for the inevitability when the Kaiju has finished with us and turn towards them. There will be no aid. Who knows if they will even open their doors for the evacuees that would come from the sea.
The reason for this is simple. If they were the one's needing our help our country would have nothing to offer. 

So there you go. We would have a desolation that would span the surrounding oceans. No life would exist except the simplest forms like amoeba or the hardiest of folk who would have nowhere else to go. 


There is one hope though. And there is one thing that our country has a high rate of , Tuberculosis cases. I just hope that when the Kaiju stays a couple of minutes in our soil and gets a strong whiff of our air its alien physiology would have no means of coping with the advanced strains of M. Tuberculosis in our smog.I hope that it actually dies from the very same thing that is killing our own countrymen. Then we would withhold treatment until it croaks.

Yup I have lost faith in a many good things but what I do know is that there is always something  , no matter how small that could make a difference.  



2 comments:

  1. And for some reason, I am unable to click on any of the reactions. But yeah, that's the reality of things. At the end of the day, I guess everyone's on their own. And was that really a scene in Pacific Rim? I mean the one showing excrement in Manila? Can't seem to remember it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup...it was in the prologue...the deleted scene is the last pic. I am glad that you didn't see my view on this as a pretty grim one. We really are alone on this one regardless of what everyone else says.

      Delete