Monday, June 17, 2013

"The Lady of the Mansion"

"The Lady of the Mansion"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.

When I was in my first year of College in UP College Baguio I stayed at a room that faced a Mansion. This was the one that faced the Legarda Mansion in Legarda Road. It was a nice looking mansion and from my window I could see the care takers private vegetable garden.It was a well kept one and even had a low hanging fence. The end of the garden was a sheer cliff that sloped a good 20 or 30 feet. From time to time the Old Man who took care of the mansion would wave at me as he took care of his veggies.

 One particular afternoon I was fixing my things when I turned to look at the Garden. There was someone there. From the distance she looked like a woman. She was all in white. A classical appearance of a White Lady. I thought someone was making a prank. So I kept on fixing the things on my table. The next time I looked the lady who also had flowing black hair was walking towards me. She was walking past the garden and was now a few steps from the cliff edge. I thought the joke would end there and she would wave at me and maybe smile as acknowledgement of the fact that I looked freaked out.

I was surprised that she kept on walking until she was actually floating over the cliff and still moving towards me in a purposeful way. I had to shut my curtains because there was actually a ghost floating out there.I was a bit scared but I was also very curious.Was my mind playing tricks on me? Was that Ghost still out there? I had to know. So I decided to open my curtains on the count of 3. 1...2...3...

And when I opened the curtains aside the Lady was still there. Hanging in the air. Still moving slowly toward me.It was like a scene in those horror movies. Only this one was really happening in front of me. I knew that curtains don't stop Ghosts when they want to enter a room but like an irrational kid I just closed the curtains again. Plopped down to bed and covered myself in the warm comforter that I had...I sleeped though there was still light. And I never opened my curtains for about a week.

I never knew why the Lady decided to show herself that day nor why she did not go inside my room when she could have...I'm hoping to never know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment