Sunday, June 16, 2013

"EDH battles: The Elvish Champion that got away"

"I am right here....Hit me!!!!"
"EDH battles: The Elvish Champion that got away"
by
Virgilio F. De leon Jr. 

"Threat assessment" are two words that I have heard countless times from my friend ST in a recent EDH debacle. Just goes to show that you can take a man out of teaching but the the teacher still remains. Coming in Sleepy headed or even a bit lazy in checking out an opponents board position really was my own fault. This story shows that even in a multiplayer game full of politics one's mind should always stay focused and continue to reevaluate moves as they happen. 

ST , After plopping down a Sire of Insanity and upon ending his turn took my good hand , including the Life's Finale that could have controlled the board. I must admit that that move did mess up my tempo and just sort of let things happen.Unable to recover , I made the mistake of destroying The Sire of Insanity with the Putrefy that I just drawed out of Frustration.

I failed to notice that to the North (Left and North actually) an Elvish army was gathering and their Elvish Champion , escaping the sure Assasination from my hands , their controller probably breathed a sigh of relief that I was not able to see. It was another 2 turns before the Forest Walking Pumped Up Elves attacked me in numbers unopposed.

Among the 5 of us it was only ST who did not have a forest and had the great fighting chance to beat the Elvish Marauders and since I was in the position of weakness with no creature dominance or removal to speak of it was only normal that I became the target for elimination. I really did invite those elves on my side of the table as well as the growing Simic Monster Army on my left run by Robert.Sometimes it doesn't pay to be the most aggressive player in the group but I can't help it because SkullBriar was made to run Early to Mid.

Another lesson learned though and something that should make me focus more ( No looking at binders while playing too hahahahha)
All of this because I failed to notice the Lone Elvish Champion that was waving his mighty bow in the air. Boooo. There would be other battles...More Threats to assess , more alliances to form , more weapons to use. The Battles will continue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment