Wednesday, June 26, 2013

"The Haunted Quarters"


"The Haunted Quarters"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.

While I was rotating under the Department of ENT during the 4th year of Medical school I was assigned to stay at the Junior Intern's(JI) Quarters at the far end of the hospital. It was a totally different place because people don't normally go there. They told me that this was the old hospital and like in all hospitals a lot of deaths occurred here.It was normal to assume that restless spirits still lived there.

The room that I was staying in was unusually warm despite having windows , despite the cold december air that was blowing outside. The moment you stepped inside the room it was like entering a furnace.

One weird incident happened when I , along with 3 other JI's stepped in to discuss our schedules for the upcoming holidays. We were barely a few seconds inside the room when we felt what seemed like a physical presence that seemed to crush our chests.All of us felt this and it was so unbearable that we had to step out of the room. The pressure stopped and we were able to discuss our schedules. We just thought that we were all just stressed out and did not give any particular meaning to the experience.

During those times , ENT duties were usually benigh (Light load) and unlike in other departments the JI's could stay in the quarters during duties to catch up on reading or even rest.
I was about to settle for the night when the double deck I was lying on started shaking. Mildly at first which I ignored but the shaking grew progressively worse. It almost felt like an earthquake only the only thing that was shaking was the bed. I sat up and put my feet on the floor to make sure that it was not just me moving about and shaking the bed. The shaking stopped. (I later confirmed that there was indeed no  earthquakes during that time. 

It was then that I felt something cold hold both of my feet. I was not able to see anything but the chill was unmistakable.

I did not know what to,  do at this point so I just said calmly "Please po patulugin niyo ako kasi marami pa akong gagawin bukas ( please let me sleep because I still have a lot of things to do tomorrow)...The cold presence withdraw. The shaking also stopped for the rest of the night. I still go there from time to time and I still feel the spirits who linger there.

No comments:

Post a Comment