Wednesday, April 17, 2013

"Fighting the Future"




"Fighting the Future"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.

I
I am not running
I'm staying very still
Though I have seen its form in the darkness
I will stand back for the kill

II
If the past is behind me 
and my future is ahead
why do I feel like there is more to fear there
and the future is stalking me instead


III
I am not running 
because in the present I must stay
I must look forward to the battle
and the future I must slay


IV
Fighting what must be
Living what must be
Insanity in dying
Insanity in dying

V
I brace myself now that it is near
I grip my blade
The past rushes forward
It comes to my aid...


VI
As the dust settles
It is ironic that the beast I must slay
determines the outcome of things to come
I may find myself killing it over and over again


No comments:

Post a Comment