Monday, April 29, 2013

"1 on 1 EDH tournament: Rude Awakening"

"This is going to hurt...a lot..."


"Rude Awakening"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.

Today I am not going to talk about  a card but about the experience that I had the last time I played competitive 1 on 1 EDH. It was real a Rude Awakening.

Granted that when I first entered a 1 on 1 tournament it was not exactly a great turn of events but I actually attributed that to wrong choice of decks.I played a deck that was not even tested in the Casual Play group EDH stage so I was massacred.

My actual performace wasn't that bad this time around as I ended up with 2 wins , 2 losses and a draw. Compared to the awful 0-4 showing in my previous attempt.

The 2 decks that beat me had really great concepts that I have not met before. One was the Iname , Death Aspect deck that had Lake of the Dead for massive mana acceleration and Twilight's call to have all those massive spirits hit the battlefield while I was still fixing my own mana. The speed of it was insane.It might have also contained a Patriarchs bidding but I was not able to see it because I was swept in 2 games.


The Mana Acceleration was insane!

Another deck was one with Sygg , River Cutthroat as a commander which featured control and a whole slew of fying 3/1 creatures that assured that my opponent would be drawing a card at the end of his turn. 


Sometimes the unknown...well...it tends to bite you when  you least expect it...

I was playing with a Sigarda deck that again felt lacked spot removal and mana acceleration to get it off the ground. with the amount of Moxes , Medallions , Force of Wills ,Fetch lands and Dual lands all over the place,my deck really seemed like a mere FUN deck by comparison. I was beaten by skill and speed. My opponents were the self-depreciating types , a true sign of their confidence and power and they have my respect. Hopefully I can fight them again in the future and hopefully this time around I would be the one doing all the self-depreciating. 

After showing how rusty I was in playing in a competitive atmosphere I had to turn and look at the pieces that I had and go back to the lab. Unfortunately there are things that are hindering me from tinkering at the moment. Payback will have to wait a couple more months but I'm sure it will be sweet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment