Thursday, January 31, 2013

"The Hesitant Hero"




"The Hesitant Hero"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.

     There once was a Hero and he was good at what he did. He was sent to the far flung reaches of the kingdom to perform tasks that no one else could. He always returned triumphant. He brought glory home to his kingdom. One day the King sought the services of the Hero once more.

"Your Kingdom needs you."

The Hero who grew accustomed to what he did and where he was was hesitant to go but he eventually agreed to the request. He had his questions but he knew his King would not ask of him if there was no great need.

"What does my King require of me?"

 "I bid you to go to the North , for there is a need of your services there. A problem has arisen and only your particular set of skills are up to the task."

The Hero thought of everyone he knew in the kingdom and surely the King might have been mistaken to send him. He asked if he had offended the King in anyway. Sending Him to the North was harsh if not an obvious waste of his capabilities.

"My King , should I not be of more use where I am? Are you saying that my services are no longer needed in this Kingdom that you will banish me somewhere else?"

The King looked sorrowfully at the Hero and he had this to say.

 "Yes , I need you here more than ever but the Kingdom requires that I send you North because you would be of much greater help there."

 The Hero no longer questioned the King because he knew that the decision was final. He prepared for the long journey. Before leaving  , the King Himself handed him a Sealed letter with explicit instructions that he open the letter once he had arrived in the Northern Outpost.

The Hero did so and the letter read:
"My Champion , this may look like a hard task for you but I have faith in the things that you can do.This land is yours by rights and all that dwell here are under your protection. Make this a place that is worthy of our Kingdoms name. I know of the difference that you bring wherever you go and this place needs it more than ever. You will be the shining example that excellence exists wherever you are. Be the leader that these people need. Be their example. Be their guide. Go forth and continue your ways."


The Hero folded the letter solemnly and he nodded once in the direction of his Kingdom as a sign of acceptance. He called forth his men and the work started promptly

No comments:

Post a Comment