Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Blowing things up with Green - Sylvan Primordial




Blowing things up with Green - Sylvan Primordial (And side kick Terastodon)
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.     


     As people might have already guessed I am a reanimator. I love getting things into my graveyard and and them getting them into play much earlier than they should be entering the battlefield. Now I also love blowing things up and many matches with my Skullbriar Golgari EDH deck features an early Terastodon Reanimation that destroys three lands for an opponent and delays their mana development for a lot of turns. Some people might not enjoy this in EDH but those same people are thankful for the 3 3/3 tokens that I leave for them when I destroy something. I love my Terastodon but Gatecrash has unleashed a monstrosity that is shaking my overall love for this big elephant. 



     Enter Sylvan Primordial , while I am a big fan of all the Primordials the black and green ones are the closest to my heart. As one of my friends said this is an auto-include in my decks and who wouldnt want this big lug in a reanimating golgari EDH deck right? It is simply screaming to be played in EDH where its comes into play ability can be maximized. Consider the turn that it comes in via an Animate dead. Each opponent gets one Non-creature permanent kaboomed out of existence. That includes Lands , Planeswalkers , Artifacts and Enchantments. And to add salt into injury , unlike the Terastodon that can give your opponents a 3/3 elephant token that can bite you in the rear in the later part of the game , this Avatar allows you to fetch a forest card instead for each non-creature permanent that you would destroy. So if you had 4 other players with you and you cast an early Sylvan primordial , it blows up 4 non creature permanents and you get 4 tapped forest unto the battlefield which you could use on your next turn to cast even more nasty creatures. With a sacrifice outlet(Nantuko Husk) and a way to recur(Sheoldred) this creature , then there are no permanents that are safe (at least on your opponents side of the board) and you might just as well empty all of the forests in your EDh deck into play.Its nice to have Reap and Sow on a stick.



     One other great thing that I like is that Sylvan Primordial has the Reach ability. It can destroy angels in a hurry. It can also be fetched by a Mwonvuli Tracker.Granted it goes on the top of your library after searching for it but it is good to know where to go when you are looking for it. You can even cast a summoning trap so that this creature comes into play at the end of your turn. You destroy and damage on your next turn. Delicious.

     I am comparing Terastodon and Sylvan Primordial now but they are both going to coexist in my deck. Each has their own advantages and I will be damned if I fail to see that these two will help each other out.Kinda like Lebron  and D-wade in Miami.Chris Bosh can be the Acidic Slime in the trio. Another creature that I love to have in hand or in play. I love blowing things up and the more creatures I have with me that can do it the better. Try it out , it relieves a lot of stress. 


No comments:

Post a Comment