Friday, November 6, 2009

The Night Shift - “Living in the light and shadows”



The Night Shift - “Living in the light and shadows”
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.

Being in my account means working on the 8th or 22nd floors at night and there is one aspect of that I have often enjoyed. It is the majestic lights of the Mandaluyong skyline that greets you when you open up the blinds. I find myself relaxing as I take in this simple splendor , a city still awake though it does not have to be. The City lights look like scattered jewels in the darkness . The moon smiles at you and you think of that McDonald ad which proclaims that they are open 24/7. And so are we. Even if I deal with a very difficult caller , I stand up and take on all of the view and somehow calm down. Not an easy feat when you are being blamed for something you haven’t done at all.

These Northern lights (as opposed to the Southern Lights of Cebu in the Urbandub song “Cebuana”) speak of action , something much harder and unromantic at times. It speaks of lives that are constantly moving and changing under their glow. Manila has been through so much change and these lights often remind me of that. Being awake 24 hours can make you spot it easily.

I look out there , the view of the river is pleasant to my eyes , the Pasig river winding its path , the lamp posts along its water ways romantic in sentiment , all the better to mask its brackish waters and the abundance of waterlilies on its surface. I once had the foolish notion of joining another company located in Cybergate 1 for one reason. Their pantry which had a clear glass view of the river facing the Guadalupe area. I was convinced that this alone sold me but when they told me that I will be shipped off to Libis I high tailed it out of there just like that. I still think of that day , I don’t know if it’s the combination of the height and the river all I know is I loved that view and a few years later after being with my account I have once again found that sight.

Another thing that makes me calm is the breaking of the dawn , the first light hits you and it gives you hope , the shift is almost over and you can be free from the phones and give your voice a rest. The lights of night give way to the light of day to reveal a city still waking, the stillness of everything before the city bursts into activity reminds me of a beautiful woman , vibrant in sleep , pleasantly sleeping , then her eyes open and smiles.

       Of course the moment the buses start honking and the endless masses of humanity pour in , the landscape changes and the city becomes something else but there is beauty in that as well. The commuters scampering for their rides , the throngs that block the entrance to Robinsons Pioneer , the masses that burst to the Boni Mrt Station. Mans eternal struggle to be on time. As for me , I sit back and relax as I take in my last calls of the day knowing that come night time I will have the same majestic view once again.

________________________

Writers note: Written almost 3 years ago while still under Project Silverback...the stress just got to you and you really needed to find beauty or go insane...

No comments:

Post a Comment