Monday, November 27, 2023

"About a Grrl Rock band and simple times gone past."


 "About a Grrl Rock band and simple times gone past."

by:

Virgilio F. De leon Jr,MD 


My friend ST and I were talking a few weeks back about the days of Club Dredd. The last time I checked this was already a shooting range in present times but it used to be the center of a thriving rock scene in the heart of QC.


Our discussion turned to a girl band , not the kpop kind , the kind that was loud and did not care. And my old brain could not remember their name. Only a long time crush named Jeng Tan. Oddly enough I started looking at old issues of Rock and Rhythm online and was a bit saddened that these old things were one of the bonds that youth of my age shared. People would buy the latest issue , practice the chords and in a lot of places who ever can master the song first was thought of as the coolest. They usually were.


So back to the girl band , my friend said that he was able to interview them and deep inside I envied him as I have only seen them on covers and several appearances on TV. They were something else during the 90's , they were girls who were drinking and swearing in a male filled bar and they were good looking too. Yet I could not remember their name until I searched Jeng Tan and found Pin-Up Girls who were originally from the band Kelts Cross. 


The rock songs of the 90's are now considered classics and weirdly enough you see these 3 decade old songs being blasted on special programs and even in Grocery stores. Of course I sincerely doubt that German cut from this band will make the...ehem...cut for public consumption. And that is probably what endears them to me still , when their is something from your youth that can't be turned into a power ballad or boy band version then you love it even more and Kelt's Cross will most likely never cross over to that more mainstream sound. 

No comments:

Post a Comment