Thursday, June 30, 2022

"A Cold Conversation"

"A Cold Conversation"

by:

Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD 


His phone had been vibrating again at the table. He had tried to rub his sleepy eyes and squinted at who it was. It was her calling again. 


"Yes?" He simply had no strenght to argue or even ignore this call. "You do know what time it is right?"


"I wanted to ask if you watched me earlier?" Always that melodic , pleasant voice. "Did you like my red dress?"


"Sadly I was working. People to save. People to placate. And all that." He had sat down and put on a shirt and he did not even know why. He took the shirt off again. 


"I thought you would be more excited than that to hear from me again." Came the voice  , disappointed and he could picture her pouting just a little.


"YuuA-shi , I am not a fan of yours. I work long hours and would appreciate it if you don't bother me when I am sleeping." He wanted to say that he did not rehearse this line again and again but it took him awhile to say it without that tinge of regret he was feeling now.


Silence on the other side of the phone. And then laughter. Something he knew she was forcing herself to do. He felt a little guilty for pushing her away like this but he had to do it. Her life depended on it.


"I guess I won't be calling you for awhile. I am going to Japan tomorrow."


"Good. Then I can probably get that 8 hour uninterrupted sleep I keep hearing about from other people." The moment he said it he knew that he had done too much and it hurt him a little too.


"You don't have to be so harsh toward me. I knew what I did. I just wanted to hear your voice. It is the only thing I could really rely on in this world."


"You like being treated like this and you keep calling me?"


"At least you are consistent. It's not like I want anything else from you now. I know that you used to scold me for being impatient and immature. I guess if this is what it takes then I will just keep calling you until you stop being mean to me."


"And in what world will that ever happen YuuA-Shi?"


"In this one. Someday." She sobbed a little. 


"Not with you sobbing like that."


"You know this is the longest time you have ever talked to me." YuuA countered.


"I should probably hang up." Again with his practiced cold voice.


"You should , I think I am growing on you again." She sniffed a little. Too proud to even get some tissues. 


"Get some tissues. And rest. You always get sick in between traveling."


"Yeah." 


V hesitated before pressing the button. It was wrong for him to want more. To wake up and hear her voice and to turn it away was torture. He lay there looking at the ceiling and sleep eluded him anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment