Monday, January 31, 2022

"Memories in the Bay"


"Memories in the Bay"

by:

Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD



For the New Year weekend leading to 2022 my family and I decided to stay at the Conrad Hotel. This was a part of the Hilton group of hotels , it was shaped like a ship and it faced Manila Bay , offering spectacular views of the Bay. 


And probably the best place for this view was in the Main Lobby at the 3rd floor where guest where greeted for their check ins. The calm grey waters seemed to spread forever into the horizon , the ships anchored a few kilometers off land seemed a reminder to as how far the bay could reach. off to the distance you could see the Mountains of Bataan and I believe Corregidor. The Sunsets were beautiful here.


And one of the thoughts that ran through my head was Dad. I wondered if he would have loved this view. I remembered as a child that he had docked one of his ships in the Bay , for resupply or repairs I no longer remember. All I remember was my Mom and me riding a small boat , the water seeming to topple us as we approached the ladder of the ship that was lowered to accommodate us.


It seemed calmed but judging from the shakiness of the boat and ladder it was far from it , at least in my memory as a young boy , maybe even less than 10 years old. It was here that my dad was offering his hand to pull me up from the small boat and up to safety. I recalled the assuring grip of his big hands , the concerned look on his face , the authoritative way that he was giving orders to others but some he was already doing himself. 


My Mom already knew how to swim at this point and I remembered all those Swimming Lessons in Pope Pius. None of the lessons stuck by the way as I would require someone else to save me come the moment. Which I hope will never come.


I looked back at that sunset remembering my parents and how realizing that as a parent I would also be fiercely protective of my own daughter. I think as time goes all of those lessons I learned from my parents always comes back , told or untold. 


No comments:

Post a Comment