Wednesday, December 30, 2020

"The Danger of watching MTG Unboxing Videos"


 "The Danger of watching MTG Unboxing Videos"

by:

Virgilio F.De leon Jr.MD


I love watching Box Unboxings on Youtube and in the beginning I was able to feel the loss and the hits of each opening. There was an excitement in the air when I started the video because heck who does not want to see the chase card being opened right? At the start of the Lockdowns and so on this became a part of my routine. I would check for unboxing videos.


I guess part of my watching these things is because not everyone can open 20 boxes of any particular expansion without feeling that awful pinching in their wallets or bank accounts. So these people who are letting us watch them open are doing us a favor by experiencing these openings.


Over time as more and more variants of the cards came and secret lairs and extended arts and planeswalkers and chase mythics or Box toppers became the thing it was getting less and less interesting.Less and Less exciting and I found myself getting sleepy although the youtubers had not waned down in their energies or in their content count. And some of these youtubers actually hit it on the nose by saying "If everything is special then nothing is special."


Magic as a game has turned to those who could spend and said give us your money and we will give you all the collectible cards you want. So much so that all that people look for when they open a box is these chase cards. Notice the energy go way way down in unboxing video when there are no fetchlands to be found or any The List cards or none of the Big 4 from Commander Legends. 


I opened a Commanders Legends Box and I was happy with my Mana Drain. I never had one and here I was holding one in the flesh. I also looked at all the cards that I could use in updating my Commander decks. I did not care that it came from  whatever slot , may it be Common or Mythic or Etched. If I can use it then I was excited. I mean look at all those mana rocks at the common slots and Arcane Signets and Comman Towers. These are not the chase rares and are worth cents but are worth putting in my decks. 


And that is how I slowly regained my joy in opening packs. I am lessening watching someone else open while enjoying my own openings. The value of the card is not in how much you can buy or sell it. It's true value lies is if it can benefit you and your deck. 


With almost 116 EDH decks all the cards in Commander Legends benefit me.

No comments:

Post a Comment