Wednesday, December 30, 2020

"Making a Difference"


 "Making a Difference"

by:

Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD



My dad jokingly asked me once, "May gumagaling ba sa mga pasyente mo anak?"

Knowing how he is I decided to pile on:

"Most likely po. Di na nagfafollow up eh. Bale dalawa lang po yan,  gumaling na o wala na."


My Dad laughed over Skype. He was miles away and I could still remember his horse grin and jolly laughter.

I remembered him today as a patient whom I have been treating for Insomnia followed up because he needed a refill of his prescription. It felt good that I was able to let this patient sleep and rest properly.

Doctors tend to wonder about patients who are lost to follow up. Wondering if they are still ok or when they will show up again. Some take years.Some never show up again. 

At least this was one of those times that I could have told my dad that I was able to help someone and that I knew for sure that I made a difference.

I hope he is smiling at me and laughing at that joke we shared years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment