Monday, October 28, 2019

"The Pit"


"The Pit"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD

Recently there was another Jumper in the SM Annex Area. One who jumped from the 5th floor and landed on the escalator on the bottom floor almost tearing him in half. The Teddy bear he was still clutching that must have been meant for someone else falling directly in front of where he died.

A high school student who was considered smart and handsome by all who saw him and even won a debate contest before all. What drove him to jump to his death I may never know or understand. But ending your life in that manner. Jumping knowing that the the only end is death. 

As I sat in Mang Tsaa , a mere few feet from where all other deaths have been landing I cannot help but call this area the pit. A pit where I hope those poor souls no longer linger in. People who pass by the escalator still look at the dent the fallen body has made. And then look at the surrounding booths that have been witness to all those other jumpers. 



It is almost Christmas time and I cannot help but imagine how hard the parents of that recent jumper must be feeling at the moment. I cannot understand that as well but I feel pain for them. And the helplessness that there is really nothing you can do to lessen that pain.

I also thought how frightening this place would be at night. People manning the booths said that it was not as scary at the Pit as it was on the 5th floor where roving guards have been known to see shadowy figures and even voices that constantly whisper to them.

The guards mainly ignore them. Still I don't really want to be in SM Annex when the lights go out. 5th floor to the Pit.

No comments:

Post a Comment