Friday, August 30, 2019

"Midweek Magic 2019 #21 - Living Death staving Death"


"Midweek Magic 2019 #21 - Living Death staving Death"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD


It was a Thursday and I was playing with Yo and Jethro. Jethro was able to pull off Chandra , Torch of Defiance's ultimate ability. An Emblem that deals 5 damage when it's controller casts a spell. This prove almost lethal for me as I was down to 7 life points. 

I had Muldrotha and Trinket Mage in play. I played my Sidisi , exploiting Trinket Mage and looked for my salvation. Living Death. I attacked with Muldrotha and a Lightning Greaves equipped Sidisi. My Muldrotha died and went to my graveyard. Inside I was already anticipating what would happen. I hoped that Jethro would not have a Counter in his hand. And he did not. On my Second Main phase I casted Living Death. Returning all the Creatures in my GY to the battlefield. Most important to note was Courser of Kruphix , Tatyova , Viscera Seer and Worldshaper.  I already had a Zuran Orb in play so I floated 9 mana and sacrificed all of my lands to it. 

7 lands became 14 life points. I now had 21 life.
I then sacrificed my Worldshaper to the Viscera Seer and I had 17 lands returning from the GY to the battlefield tapped. This triggered 17 life from Courser of Kruphix and 17 life from Tatyova , as well as drawing 17 cards. 

I was at 55 lives. Since I had Muldrotha already in play from Living Death as well I casted Worldshaper from my GY one more time. I sacrificed 17 lands to the Zuran Orb. 

I was at 89 lives. I sacrificed the Worldshaper and would again have 17 lives from the Courser and Tatyova respectively. 17 card draws and I was at 123 lives.

It was then that I knew that I was well beyond any amount of direct damage that Jethro could throw at me. And I was attacking for lethal on the next turn. 

From Sidisi to Living Death. 7 lives to 123 lives. Whew. It felt great escaping that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment