Thursday, January 31, 2019

"Midweek Magic 2019 #5: As the turns turn"


"Midweek Magic 2019 #5: As the turns turn"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD

When you make a deck you have a certain expectation and then you are either met with that expectation or let down by your own thoughts. And sometimes a deck just somehow grabs you by the throat and forces you to watch how awesome it would turn out to be cool ways that you would have a hard time figuring out. 

Such was the case with my Izzet Kenrith Twins deck. Having recently decided that I would make it focus more on Planeswalkers instead of the Storm build deck that I wanted it to be. In the process I wanted to take a couple of turns just in case I would not be able to do anything good on my turn or need an extra one to finish off an opponent.

I had no idea of the Time Displacement that would happen that night. It was our last game of the night and Pao and his Prossh deck was all but set to probably kill me before Yo and his Arahbo cat decks could. Having died to Prossh the previous game I was a bit wary of experiencing the same.



And so on my turn I was able to pull of something in our playgroup that no one has done as to my knowledge.I took 13 straight turns(or more) and never looked back.

How did it happen? I was able to use Will Kenrith's ultimate ability and cast a Time Warp with the mana from Primal Wellspring which gave me an initial 3 extra turns. I was able to cast get my Time Warp back with an Archeomancer and then it went all banana level Time manipulation when I was able to cast the Nivix Guild Mage. 

With all my accumulated mana I was able to cast Timewarp and gained 3 turns plus 3 more from the Nivix Guildmages 2nd abilitiy.



How did it end you might ask? I mean hypothetically one cannot simply just take extra turns aimlessly right? I was aimless alright and I was not sure how to end the game until I ran into Devil's Play and scorched Pao for about 80 burn damage. I asked Yo because I ran out of mana this turn and then went ahead and burnt him on my next turn for 80 mana as well with a flashbacked Devils play.

Whooooo. It was tiring but I have never experienced so much time manipulation like that. Insane.

No comments:

Post a Comment