Thursday, December 27, 2018

"Midweek Magic 2018 #49: Riding the Boros Ambulance."



"Midweek Magic 2018 #49: Riding the Boros Ambulance."
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD

This whole week of Midweek Magic was Boros week for me as I resolved myself to finally build a Red/White deck that did not involve Dwarves or Vehicles.

I was amazed that since I was not playing these color combinations I had amassed most of their lands and most of the key pieces of the deck. What I did not have was Aurelia The War leader which I badly wanted to equip with a Helm of the Host for that non-stop attack pattern to kill opponents. Sadly even as of this writing (which means 3 days of gaming) I am still not able to pull off a win using this particular synergy.

I have however been able to ramp to enough lands to consistently cast Aurelia the Warleader via cards like Gift of Estates and Knight of the White Orchid. I have found that it takes a great level of timing to win with a Boros deck but it can be done even with just Aurelia pushing in most of the damage.

When you realize that by her lonesome she can just bash in for 6 points of commander damage( 12 if you give her double strike via cards like Sunhome). Add any other creature that has benefits when it attacks like Master Tactician that taps a creature while attacking to eliminate a big blocker on the other side. Another card is Sun Titan that returns 2 permanents that cost 3 mana or less. Including lands and most of the "Police" of the deck like Fair Grounds Warden or Banisher priest. 

Once Aurelia becomes unopposed an opponent does not last all that long. I still need to improve the deck but there is a part of me that feels very satisfied with it's performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment