Tuesday, October 30, 2018

"When We Become Stories"



"When We Become Stories"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD

"In the end we all become stories."

I heard this in the Haunting of Hill house and I find myself nodding. I remember my parents who have now become a part of my memories and it still hurts. Sometimes I can't remember a story about them and then there are times that the memories just flood me and I have to sit down because I am physically overwhelmed.

I had wished that I was able to talk to them again but even as ghosts I do not see them. Are we done Mom and Dad I jokingly said? No more things to say? No more orders? I guess that it was done when they joined the maker but I sure hope that I would have been able to talk to them again.

My mom was full of stories and I did not expect her to become one of those stories. Nor did I expect my Dad to be one so early. They were decent and kind people. My Dad always knew his responsibilities but he never shirked from them. Growing up I have always seen him as our pillar. My mom was the light of our house. Making sure that we were guided and corrected and provided for as we grew up.

I take it a day at a time but there are certain days like these that does not make it easy at all. And I want to take comfort in one of my Mom or Dad's stories of the past but I know that there are things that you can never have anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment