Friday, December 8, 2017

"Midweek Magic December 2017 #49: An Omnath Autistic Combo win"


"Midweek Magic December 2017 #49: An Omnath Autistic Combo win" 
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD

When I play with Omnath , Locus of Rage I always tend to win by being aggressive and attacking my opponent as much as I can. Most opponents succumb to this but recently I realized that my deck had a built in combo win that I was not even aware of. It was like being with someone your whole life and seeing a whole side of them. This was one was a deadly secret.


The combo involved Doubling Season , Greater Good and Omnath already in play. It was not a sure thing but this combo made it possible to increase your chances of drawing lands and playing those lands. 

This is the sequence that reduced my opponent Paolo Carandangs life points to zero. It had (ugh) Math in it. 



Played 1 land. Created 2 5/5 Elementals due to Doubling Season. Sacrificed 1 5/5 elemental , drew 5 cards , discarded 3 , Pao took 3 damage.

Drew and played a cultivate , 1 land into play and 1 into hand , created 2 5/5 tokens , total is 3 tokens. Sacrificed 1  , drew 5  , discard 3 , Pao took 3.

Drew and played Azusa , also drew some lands. 2 extra land drops , created  4 5/5 tokens , total is 6 tokens in play. 

Sacrificed 1 5/5 elemental , drew 5 cards , discarded 3 , Pao again took 3 damage. Drew a Summer Bloom , played 3 additional lands , created 6 5/5 Elementals , total is now 11 tokens. 


By this time Pao had already taken 9 points of damage and I could go ahead and sacrifice the 11 remaining tokens to finish him off. There was a moment when it felt so surreal to be able to pull this combo off and win without attacking.

But it happened and Omnath's combo is now out. Oh and I really need to have a Zendikar Roil and Young Pyromancer in this deck. 


No comments:

Post a Comment