Monday, October 16, 2017

"Huatli , Warrior Poet: Poetry in blood"


"Huatli , Warrior Poet: Poetry in blood"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD

Now that I have made my Gishath led dino EDH deck I turn my attention to the planeswalker that should make dinos even stronger but what does she offer that I will consider adding her? Or am I a fool for not already auto including her in the onset? Today we will see if Huatli deserves the slot.

The 5 mana cost planeswalker who has never left the plane of Ixalan is our main topic for today and let me just say that she could be used in other decks but she would be at the tail end of a very aggressive mana curve if used in other aggressive decks.

Looking at her first ability she can swing life in your favor if you have been taking potshots in the early game from fast attackers or direct damage. If you have at least one dino out then you are in luck. Her first ability lets you gain life equal to the greatest power among creatures you control. The more common dinos usually have 4, 5 or 6 power so she would do great with them already in play. Current Naya EDH decks also have big critters in them that could coincide well for this life gain. Think Krosan Cloudscraper levels.


Huatli's second ability gives you a 3/3 Green Dino token with trample which is great since it can protect her in the beginning and can be used to attack the following turn. Keep on creating these 3/3 tokens every turn and you'd have a dino army in no time.If you have no big creatures for her first ability then just create one and gain 3 life per turn if you want to.No cost to activate too. 

Now on to the last ability which is a -X. Reminiscent of the original Chandras burn abilities Huatli takes it a step further. You could outright kill a 3 toughness creature when she comes into the battlefield or you could deal 3 damage to 3 different creatures and let your dino's smash through for the win. Maybe she aims for the opposing creatures eyes to blind them so they won't be able to block.(that's just my theory though). I am not really sure how it works but with no blockers in the way and you have enough creatures to deal max damage one thing is clear. Opponents may need a fog effect to prevent the bloodshed you would be dealing.

And so I think I have convinced myself into adding this planeswalker into the Dino EDH deck I just made. Hay. Gastos ulit. I can't wait to see her write poetry for me. In the blood of those against me.

Thanks for reading and keep on brewing.

2 comments: