Monday, October 23, 2017

"Admiral Beckett Brass: Becky's gonna get ya!"


"Admiral Beckett Brass: Becky's gonna get ya!"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD

"Do they teach catechism?" my friend  Ram asked me and this is in reference to that Pirate Educational film starring Jessie Jane where the response was, "I am not sure all I keep on hearing is Oh God , Oh God."

Well now that we have started on that note Admiral Beckett Brass or Becky as I would love to call her is all about getting what she wants and with the right amount of attacking pirates and combat damage she can get any opponents non-land permanent and keep it forever(or at least until the game ends). Talk about wanting something and getting it.

Admiral Becky comes in the Grixis colors and an extra colorless mana. The 4 mana cost and mix of colors is great in EDH as it allows you access to counters and great removal spells in blue and black as well as other good creature capturing or permanent capturing cards in Red like Hijack.

I just seemed to keep on opening pirates and cards that support them in my packs and so I finally decided that my 37th deck will feature them. Heck I got most of the great cards anyway . Time to make them a permanent EDH home.

Speaking of permanent did you know that once you acquire something with Admiral Becketts ability you don't have to give it back at the end of your turn? Or even if Becky isn't in the battlefield anymore? Just make sure to return any permanents you got this way at the end of each game. Para walang samaan ng loob.



So how do you do it? Make sure that you are attacking with a lot of pirates. You need at least 3 of them to deal combat damage to a player and to have Admiral Becky survive in order for the ability to trigger otherwise the attack is fruitless for stealing things.

At the end of your end step you get to decide which non land permanent you would be acquiring from this hapless opponent who has many good stuff lying around but with not blockers to defend his or herself. In one of my games I was almost able to steal a counter filled Ashiok that could have been used to debilitate my opponent but heck my plan was foiled by a single blocker and a depths of desire in my graveyard that he was able to use to return one of my attacking pirates.

Most people would be frustrated at his and don't have the chance to try and pull it off but for me that is the whole point of the deck , if I get to steal stuff from other players then it would not matter if I won or lost that game. It was part badge of honor and a testament that the deck and its kooky concept is feasible. And being feasible for me is better than being able to win.


I am just beginning my journey with Admiral Becky. All aboard me mateys. Time for us to reap.

2 comments:

  1. Is pirate speak also "Becky"-speak?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well. A lot of groups have neologisms. Beckys among them. Pirates have their own neologisms. Hahahahah

    ReplyDelete