Tuesday, June 20, 2017

"Midweek Magic 2017 #18: Black Sun Salvation"


"Midweek Magic 2017 #18: Black Sun Salvation"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD


I have never thought that I would say it but I am thankful that I was saved by the Black Sun's Zenith.

You are probably thinking that this sorcery saved me the normal way which is by putting a lot of -1/-1 counters on all creatures on the battlefield that even Indestructible ones die to it. While it has saved me in this way countless times. It has saved me in a different way this time.


It was a 2 vs. 2 vs. 2 match. We found ourselves pairing so that Ram and Yo who had a combination of Grinders and Attackers would dominate my Sultai Superfriends and Pao's Black Green Delirium/Graveyard monsters. On my right was the pair of Cheska and her seafoods deck and Janry's B/R deck that featured awesome creatures like Phyrexian Obliterator and Demigod of Revenge.

For some reason Ram had begun targeting my library with 2 consecutive Sanity Grindings that had me mill 18 and 17 cards respectively. I was in a lot of trouble and on my right Janry was discarding my hand and Cheska was amassing a lot of tentacled monsters on the other side. Things were not looking good. 

This was also the day where Cheska had given me Choco Mallow Pie and I had left the empty wrapper in front of me as a reminder not to attack her. Ram felt most of that and Janry felt the same as our creatures connected and eliminated our first team of the night.

When it was time to face Cheska and Janry all I had were 6 cards and it was not looking good. I even drew a Jace Beleren that would not let me draw but instead I let Pao draw extra cards so that he can develop a board presence. He attacked and was able to go through and I was able to draw a Black Sun's Zenith to wipe the board. I also got to play Nicol Bolas and was able to Ultimate it targeting Janry and his lands. Pao and I would not have been able to win without the Black Sun as I was able to cast it for 0 at our 2nd main phases and it would go back to the library and I would be able to draw it again to avoid being beaten by library death.

It was an exciting come from behind win as I was sure that the B/R and Seafoods combo would be our undoing.

No comments:

Post a Comment