Tuesday, November 1, 2016

"Reyhan, Last of the Abzan: Skullbriar Loves you"



"Reyhan, Last of the Abzan: Skullbriar Loves you"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.

Reyhan, Last of the Abzan gave me one of those moments that made me happy. One is that he is in my Golgari colors and would fit Tiny Leaders with my favorite Skullbriar. And I am sure that they would have a happy life together even in EDH.

So Reyhan, Last of the Abzan  is basically a 3/3 creature when it comes into play but he serves a much greater purpose for the +1/+1 counter loving Abzan. When a creature you control dies or is sent to a command zone , if it has one or more +1/+1 counters on it you may put that many +1/+1 counters on target creature.

So a deck that features Skullbriar who gets the counters fast and early works well with Reyhan and if they are both in play and you have a Primordial Hydra or Endless One that dies you could just imagine where those counters would go. On to Skullbriar who does not lose the counters even if he dies. The interaction also gets better with a counter laden Skullbriar who essentially transfers all those on a creature of your choice. Meaning you have something to politically barter with when you are playing multiplayer EDH. This could be done at instant speed by the way if you have a sacrifice outlet. If that isn't scary then just imagine a Glistener elf attacking you and it instantly gets bulkier with a load of +1/+1 counters on it thanks to a sacrificed massive creature.

I expect a lot of dice to be on my side of the battlefield from all the counters that Reyhan, Last of the Abzan will be able to allow. I could just see it now. Commander 2016 is shaping up to be one hell of a set. My wallet is already filing an advance complaint. 



No comments:

Post a Comment