Tuesday, July 22, 2014

"Standard Pauper:Mono Green Golgari Assault 2014"

"The troll without the Dredge..."

"Standard Pauper:Mono Green Golgari Assault 2014"
by:
VIrgilio F. De leon Jr.

 My Golgari roots are showing. Yes I have a fondness for the graveyard and I have a fondness for creatures that take advantage of it. Those who draw strength from death and rise to win. Yup , I was able to get an Undergrowth Scavenger and because I had no other cards to support this mini Golgari grave troll I was not able to use it in my pre release rampage. I was filled with all the Standard Pauper possibilities that this card could bring. 

So now that M15 is finally out ,here is my deck list for a Mono Green Golgari deck that promises to be aggressive and mean all around. I am particularly very happy that green has a lot of fetch effects in the common slot. There are a lot of cards in this mix that let you gain advantage regardless if they are dead or alive. There are two underlying themes in this particular deck , (1) Grave Strength , putting in a lot creatures on my own graveyard means that Undergrowth Scavenger would be a monster to reckon with in the mid or late game. (2) Green Devotion especially in Aspect of Hydra that could truly make any of the little green creatures here monstrous.



Mono Green Golgari Pauper Monsters:

20 X Forests

4 X Satyr Way Finder
4 X Undergrowth Scavenger 
4 X Elvish Mystic 
4 X Golden Hind 
4 X Spire Tracer 
4 X Scab clan charger
4 X Slaughter Horn
____________________
28 creatures

4 X Aspect of Hydra
4 X Commune with the Gods
4 X Wildwood Rebirth
_________________
16 spells

Sideboard:
4 X Naturalize
4 X Renowned Weaver
4 X Kruphix's Insight
3 X Snake of the golden grove

Elvish Mystic and Golden Hind are my mana dorks of choice , I mean magic put in a one and two to cast mana producing creature , nothing is going to stop me from using them.I was originally planning to put in a lot of big creatures but with the graveyard feeding that I have in mind as well as the one shot Ethereal armor effect of the card Aspect of Hydra I realized that I didn't need big creatures , I could simply cast a one to cast Instant and already have a big beast to pester my opponents with.


Satyr Wayfinder , Slaughter Horn and Scab clan charger are here to fill up my graveyard. They have great effects the satyr fetches me a land so I do not miss a land drop. The other two could potentially power up an early weenie attack , hopefully going unblocked on the back of a Spire Tracer, but then again as long as I already have enough mana even my mana dorks could threaten for an attack. The deck is also designed to threaten early so that opponents would be mindful of their life totals and use up blockers and spot removals. A pumped Golden Hind  threatening for 4 or 5 points of damage is a sure magnet for those removals and blockers. This deck is not afraid of death because even in death everything serves a purpose.

Commune with the Gods allows you to get Undergrowth Scavenger  for the endgame. And it also gives a potential 4 creature throw to the graveyard. The deck features 28 creatures , each one helping to achieve the end game.Wildwood Rebirth allows you to snatch up precious creatures that you would need later on. At instant speed it could out maneuver grave hate spells and get your key card.


Undergrowth Scavenger is the main star of this deck. I wanted to build around a golgari monster and I think I have created it here. It counts creatures from all graveyards and gets a +1/+1 counter on it for each of those creatures. On turn 4 I believe that he will be bigger than you ever dreamed him to be. All those who died before will make him grow , will make him strong. You could only imagine where he wants to turn all that power and aggression now.

So have fun and hopefully I would see you in a Standard Pauper Tournament soon.With the new card infusion from M15  Standard Pauper is alive and well.

No comments:

Post a Comment