Monday, March 10, 2014

"Hi"


"Hi"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr. MD

A couple of years ago my classmates from High school and I got in touch with each other. It was great hanging with them for a couple of times so they planned a big get together that I missed entirely because I had a shift.On that night one of us passed away tragically as he was on his way home. His name was Delfin.

I remember him from High school , he was always someone who could crack you up with jokes but he also had a serious side to him. He was well loved among our classmates because of this. Most of our classmates were at his wake and his burial. I was again absent in both occasions because of work obligations. I often wondered if he was mad at me in some way since I was always absent.

I got my answer one night as I was preparing for my night shift. As was my custom I had my facebook on along with some other websites like nba.com and magicthegathering.com. People would usually PM me once in awhile and I would answer whenever I can while dressing up and fixing my pack for the night.

One particular PM startled me. It simply said. "Pre, Kamusta ka na?"

It was Delfins account. The account that was dormant for more than 2 weeks. The account that no one else had any access to and here was the owner asking me how I am from beyond.

My room was in the 3rd floor and since Aven was sleeping with her lola I was all alone in our townhouse. I had no response to that one simply question. I unplugged my laptop. Turned it off and hoped that I don't start getting text messages from my dead classmate.

I went to my shift a bit shaken and I had to brace myself when I dared to open my laptop again.The message was gone. There was no PM from him. Was I so tired that I started imagining things? was it from guilt?

There were no other PM's.I am hoping that there wouldn't be. 

2 comments: