Sunday, December 29, 2013

"Silver Pieces: White Silver Devotion 2014"


"Silver Pieces: White Silver Devotion 2014"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.

When I play any white deck I always think of Alfred. One of my previous team mates and earliest opponents when I was playing the tournament scene. He showed me that with a single Protection from Red , my whole Mono Red deck could crumble despite its speed in casual test plays.

So there,with the silver format ( a 60 card deck , all uncommon format with the exception of lands) I turn to one of the most unused cards in the current Theros set ,The Evangel of Heliod  and hope to churn out a winner. Here is my deck list for White Silver:

22 X Plains

3 X Azorius Justiciar
4 X Favored Hoplite
3 X Evangel of Heliod 
4 X Phalanx Leader
4 X Fencing Ace
4 X Banisher Priest
_____________
22 creatures

4 X Ordeal of Heliod
3 X Dauntless Onslaught
3 X Blessing
4 X Brave the Elements
4 X Arrest
___________________
16 Spells



Alright , now I had tokens on my mind when I crafted this deck , so many tokens in fact but then again it would rely on a piece that has not been getting a lot of play. ,The Evangel of Heliod pales in comparison to other Devotion creatures like Master of the Waves or Fanatic of Mogis , and besides white has more speedier creatures that would fit. So why play with the The Evangel of Heliod then? I just love these kinds of cards.

Since this is an all Uncommon format I reasoned that the other decks would be much slower ( this is after the fact that I created an all uncommon Red deck). I still think that with the Phalanx Leader and Fencing Ace there are early elements of control. The Banisher Priest could exile creatures while the Azorius Justiciar could detain and defend as well. Come the 6th turn and the Evangel of Heliod comes into play with the tokens it has in tow. Well it is time to close the game.


Access to Brave the Elements here could spell doom for your opponents in the end game but it could also be something that you might use to defend your creatures early on when you already have 2 in hand. You only need one of these to win.

Here is to hoping that your devotion to white plays out well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment