Saturday, November 30, 2013

"Out of the Shadows: Dimir Knives Pauper"



"Out of the Shadows: Dimir Knives"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.

The Dimir have been known to manipulate people from the shadows. Much like Ninja's in ancient Japan they gather information and seldom attack physically. Mind attacks are the norm but what if there was some secret faction inside the Dimir that handles assassinations. 

A swift blow to the side of the ribs and a problem goes away. Surgical precision.Ladies and Gentlemen I present to you The Dimir Knives:

9 X Island
9 X Swamp
4 X Guildgate
______________
22 Lands


4 X Omen Speaker
4 X Metropolis Sprite
4 X Dead Reveler
4 X Vaporkin
4 X Dagger Dome Imp
__________________
20 Creatures


4 X Dark Favor
4 X Devour Flesh
4 X Voyages End
4 X Disperse
2 X Scourge mark
_______________
18 spells

3 X Gristly Spectacle


Ok. On to the deck itself. Blue Black Slight anyone? I have never seen so many deck variations before. Standard Pauper is teeming with so many ideas that you might be battling a dominant deck now and then answer the challenge of another contender the following week. 

Dimir Knives promises a more powerful kick in the throat because of all the Evasion in this deck. Dark Favor is the key card here because any of the creatures in this deck become monstrous. A 5/2 Flying Vapor kin is not really something you would ignore if you want to stay in the game or how about a 4/4 Omen speaker? The Dark Favor could turn the seemingly harmless to the overtly horrific.



It was really a toss up between Deathcult Rogue and Dead Reveler in the 3 mana slot here. Now I have always said that the Dead Reveler is one of my favorite cards in common. An Unleashed 3/4 is way better than an unblockable 2/2 any day in my book. It might be off from the Dimir theme a little bit but this is really the better choice.With that said you could still try the Rogue if you prefer him. Dark Favor makes him a 5/3 as well. Not bad for an unblockable dude.

I like the promise of this deck. Can the Dimir Knives overthrow the current Kings of Pauper. It might be high time to find out for yourself.






2 comments:

  1. I was reading through the list and was about to point out the absence of Deathcult Rogue when I read that you discussed it below. I don't mind the Dead Reveler though I think it would be better if there's Deathcult instead of Daggerdrome? I do understand that you want to keep the curve low. Then again, if I remember correctly, it has lifelink and there are enchantments which buffs the creatures' power...I guess it's fine? Keep up the articles! And I am not a fan of Deathcult Rogue. Haha. It's just a coincidence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup Dagger Dome Imp over that Rogue in this deck...I usually feel sorry unused cards...somehow though I do not feel anything of the sort for the Rogue...I feel sad for the Rakdos Drake , Splatter Thug and Dead Reveler...they are all in the 3 mana slot and you can actually only play 1 set of them....thanks for always sharing your thoughts man...

    ReplyDelete