Wednesday, August 28, 2013

"Shadow Brothers"


"Shadow Brothers"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.

Midnight. Port of Alberta.

 The ship called The Sword had just anchored and in the shadows of a nearby warehouse a meeting was taking place. Rats skittered all over the floor and on the floor where the goods for Amatsu were placed a lone figure stood waiting.

          “So we meet again little brother.” A shadow whispered ,  a hint of mischief in its voice.

          “Save your breathe , I have no words for you.” The other shadow answered.  Anger rising in every word.

          “Oh really now. Then what do you call those words you just told me then? Hahahahahhaah.”  

Silence followed for a minute.

          “Still serious as ever ei Loji? You never were the one to loosen up” the first shadow sat down and opened one of the crates.  “Fresh wine from Comodo! I bet you here this is anything but legal.”

          “You’re the thief Kaji , you tell me.”

          “Oh boy , the assassins guild hasn’t helped your sense of humor one bit , little brother.” Kaji countered.

          “No but their training has helped me in other ways.” A blade shone out of the darkness and it came swinging toward Kaji. The blade missed , Kaji was simply not there.

          “Tsk tsk tsk Loji , what did father always tell you? You can never best your older brother.”The thief said from above the asssasin. “It seems that he was still right all along.”

          “Shut up! You have the nerve to bring father up , you were the one who caused his death!” the younger one said as he jumped with his powerful legs and tried to slash his brother once more with the clean and efficient movement that the assassins guild had ingrained in him. Kaji merely disappeared.

          “Loji , Loji , Loji , father was old , he never needed my help in dying. I have read about it in the papers , I knew of his death and I knew it was from old age.” Kaji said from behind Loji.

          “Then you are a greater fool than I am brother , it was not disease or old age that killed him , it was bitterness at what you had become.” Another slash in the darkness. “Would you stay still so I can kill you!” came Loji’s irritated voice.

          “What I have become? And what about what you have become? I have become free from the burdens of destiny , I have chosen  how to live.”

          “And in choosing so have made a mockery of our family. Our house no longer exists , its assets seized by the king  , your name plastered all over the walls in all of the cities. What you call fame our family only knows as shame.”

          Silence. A single thud to the back of the head was all Loji felt as he collapsed into the darkness. “Sorry brother , there will be no killing tonight.”

The ship called the Sword left anchorage without incident and set sail for the island of Amatsu, minus 10 sacks of Gold.


Morroc , Assasins Guild

          As head of the Assassins Guild , the master always took pride on being everywhere and nowhere at once , he knew the secrets that the shadows told him. He also prided himself for always knowing when the wind blows and when the light strikes the darkness but no one could have prepared him for the perfection that Kaji was. The same perfection who now held a dagger firmly at his throat.

          “You do not know me and if you look for me after I have said what I wanted you will never find me. So if I were you I would listen very well.” Kaji said.

          “Do you know who I am? Do you know that you are in even graver danger by being this close to me like this” the older man said every word dripping with arrogance.

          “Oh don’t bother about your poisons old man , I know all about them and I have an immunity to poisons , as for your weapons , you can see that if you reach for them they won’t even be there.”

          The master had known then that this man was serious. “What is it that you want?” The assassin said as beads of sweat poured down his face. He had never known fear as he had this night and he was eager to end it.

          “The boy named Loji , you will leave him alone or you will feel my dagger at  your throat again.”

          “You have my word.”

          “Good.” And with a blow to the back of the head Kaji left the head assassin in a pool of drool and sweat.



Prontera , BloodLion Castle

          “Loji , wake up…Loji…” came the soft voice.

          “Mom?” came Loji’s drowsy response. “Where am I? “

          “You are home…”

          Loji opened his eyes and what greeted him was the familiar sight of his room overlooking the whole town. Tears run down his eyes.

          “What happened? Why am I here? Is this a dream?”

          “No my son , King Tristan has returned our assets and our House. Tomorrow you can again serve as knight.” The old woman proclaimed  excitedly.

          The moment seemed so surreal. Loji could not find the words describe how he felt. He gave a silent prayer for his older brother. He knew he had a hand in all of this, but even if he could find him it was something he would ever acknowledge.
“Thank you brother for letting me free to choose my own destiny…” Loji whispered in the wind.

_______________________________________________________

Writers Note: One of my Ragnarok Phase Stories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment