Wednesday, June 12, 2013

"Into the Wilds: Baloth Style"

"We need to talk buddy..."
"Into the Wilds: Baloth Style"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.

     My Rampaging Baloths talked to me the other day. They were threatening to trample me if I didn't get Into The Wilds the moment it comes out. I looked it up now and I can see why my Rampaging Baloths want it. It's like that time that they talked me into asking for my friend June Bhryan's Oracle of Muldaya. I have an inkling as to what it is and it is about Landfall.

     Yup the Rampaging Baloths do enjoy Landfall very much since it gives more and more 4/4 Beast tokens with each land drop.I love it too because a lot of 4/4 Beasts mean a lot of 4/4 token beatdowns.


     Now on to the card. Into the Wilds is a 4 mana costing enchantment that has 1 green mana in it which means that it is perfect to splash into multi colored decks that want to ramp up the mana. Golgari, Simic, Gruul or Selesnya decks will enjoy this enchantment. Incidentally Oracle of Muldaya share the same mana cost which would also be perfect for splashing and mana ramping.

    Imagine having a Rampaging Baloths in play and you have Into the Wilds and an Oracle of Muldaya to go with it. You have 2 potential land drops from you library along with your normal 1 land drop per turn. Now imagine that the 3 lands that you were able to play were Fetch lands. This would net you a total of Six 4/4 Beast tokens!!! And that is called living the Landfall dream.Along with the 6/6 Rampaging Baloths you already have you are looking at 30 points of potential damage on the next turn.

"Say it with me: Triuuuuuuumph of the Hooooooooooooooordes!!!!!!"
     An attack and an Overrun (which would give them a +3/+3 and trample each) would end your opponents life with 48 damage if the beasts go unopposed. Or a Triumph of the Hordes would allow you to win with Infect should you decide to use it.It really is up to you.Either way this is the End in Modern or EDH formats.

     Every turn would net you at least 3 4/4 Beast tokens so as you can see even if the Baloths are stopped by blockers initially you are adding in more creatures than your opponents can counter or take care of. I hate math but when you you actually do it , at the rate of 3 creatures per turn it won't be long until The Rampaging Baloths and its brood do the kind of damage that would let your opponent concede or scoop his cards from the overwhelming odds.

Well this is it for today.Keep on brewing and listening to your cards should they decide to talk to you.







No comments:

Post a Comment