Thursday, June 27, 2013

"Garruk, Caller of Beasts:Unleashing the Beasts of War"



"Garruk, Caller of Beasts:Unleashing the Beasts of War"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.

Aside from reanimation there are other ways to get  really big creatures unto the battlefield earlier than they should be. 

I always loved Worldspine Wurm because it is just way to abusive when you are able to summon it or when it leaves play.What I have found though is that when you include it in an EDH deck even with mana ramp , it does not necessarily mean that I can get the chance to playit. It normally just ends up in my hand as my opponents cast more mana efficient creatures. It got to a point that I had to cut it from my deck.



I vowed to make a deck with Quick Silver Amulet and Elvish Piper to have my Wurm back. As I was tinkering with the idea I was happy to see this new planeswalker that would help me immensely in the direction that I wanted go.

Enter Garruk , Caller of Beasts. I doubt that he will just be calling beasts. Wurms and a whole slew of huge green creatures are now mere -3 loyalty counters away. 

At 4 Colorless mana and 2 Green mana cost many have seen Garruk as a hard cast or a bit slow...of course people need to be reminded that anything with green in it doesn't normally wait for the 6th turn to drop a 6th land or to cast anything for 6 mana. There is enough mana ramp in the early turns (especially in the EDH setting) to sucessfully cast the Caller of Beasts.Along with a lot of Stones and Runes in the current EDH and Standard settings then you could have the new Garruk entering at around turn 3 or 4.

Turn 1: Forest and Birds of Paradise
Turn 2: Forest , tap 2 lands , Talisman , tap Talisman to cast llanowar elf
Turn 3: Forest...6 mana available...cast Garruk , Caller of Beasts and hope it does not get countered...

Looking at his first skill (1- loyalty counter) which is an improved version of Commune with Nature , a deck full of creatures will benefit from it immensely. Add the existing Domri Rade into this mix and you have a handful of creatures already at hand even before Garruk steps into the mix.You might just want to use him to call one of the beasts in your hand into play. In my case I hope to already have a creature that can blow something up like the Woodfall primus or Terastodon!



With his ultimate skill costing -7 loyalty counters you get an Emblem and a Tooth and Nail effect.When you cast a creature even those at one measly mana you could now search for a monster and put it on the battlefield as well. And if you have been able to collect a handful of one or two drops in your hand then chances are you would now end up with your killer combination. Imagine casting a Llanowar elf and then having a choice of any of the titans or the primordials now coming into play on your side!!!

The skills all tie in , you have creatures in your hand , you have the skill to put them on the battlefield and then if you could wait for around 3 more turns...unless Doubling season is also in play then you have a lot of creatures entering your side of the field.



A lot of creatures that hopefully your enemies would not be able to deal with and you know that you are going to press in for offensive the following turn assuming of course that you do not have an Urabrask or Fervor already in play.

So this is it for today. I can't wait to get my hands on this card.


No comments:

Post a Comment