Monday, June 17, 2013

"EDH Battles:When The Police make a Grab"

"Me like . Me grab..."

"EDH Battles:When The Police make a Grab"
by:
Virgilio F.De leon Jr.

In playing EDH games there are times when players are hesistant to play with Control players( Blue Mages, Azorius , Simic, Dimir or Izzet) because the game tends to ground to a halt and like in basketball the 1st and 2nd quarters do not matter because it is in the 3rd and 4th quarters that all the marbles are being played for. All the moves come out in the final draws.In the local scene control players are called Police. They police every move and if its not to their liking they say no.

The End game defines the control players moves and I didn't want to be in such a drawn out game because the decks I built were very aggressive by nature. 

"Running big creatures?  Beware..."


However  , I still found myself in a 4 player battle with Aya's Augustine Deck , Ed's Azami deck and Mr.Commander Time Garry's Sygg , Merfolk deck. I was running a Mirko Vosk Dimir deck that was already milling away the early turns with A Nemesis of Reason that managed to slip into play. I was kidding that even though I was playing what looked like a control deck it was still pretty aggressive with the attacks.

The early turns consisted of trying to figure out who would counter what so I got into contemplating strategies for the win. Some of them seemed like far off strategies too , but I liked it.

My strategy with my Dimir deck is to mill my opponents and Reanimate their best creatures with Chainers or Geth. However , I still love the awesomeness that Consuming Abberation brings to the table. Since I mill everyone's brain all at the same time and I get to have the biggest monster on the board.



Now one thing that is a common thread to all control decks is that there will always be a means to copy the best creature on the board like Clone or the tasty Rites of Replication (with Kick) whom if partnered with a Terastodon would produce one hell of an Elephant party. So it was fairly common to find that my Consuming Aberration was also being copied by Ed with a Cryptoplasm each upkeep.We were milling but Aya and Garry were moving more cards to the graveyard.

Once I draw Grisly Spectacle I knew that Ed copying my Consuming Aberration was a mistake because if I eliminate his copy he would have to mill about a 100 cards and it would end the game for him. However Ed was able to Overload a Cyclonic rift which ended my plans.

It was in the End game that I was again caught by surprise. After tapping all my mana and casting Consuming Aberration and Evil Twin (Copying COnsuming Aberration) I was happy to have creatures that had at least 200 power between them. I was not so thrilled when they went to Ed's side and killed me for that 200 power in one sweep due to an instant speed Reins of Power. I looked at the Grisly Spectacle in my Hand. I was not able to use it. Why should I be so greedy? Maybe next time I can mill someone to death with it. Maybe that time I will be ready. 

No comments:

Post a Comment