Sunday, January 8, 2012

"Listening to Bolas..."


"Power! Power shall be yours!!!
"Listening to Bolas..."
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.

The other day a dragon talked to me. His name was Nicol Bolas. His name sounded girly to me and it reminded me of Tom Cruises ex-wife but this dragon was nothing like that sexy beast, he was a different beast altogether and he was speaking to me. He told me to build a deck , he told me this as a voice inside my head , now normally I would ignore voices in my head because they always claim to be someone else like being a prophet or something but this dragon ( who was a voice in my head at that time ) had a lot of pretty solid ideas.

He said build me a tri-colored deck and we will vanquish your enemies and conquer the multiverse together. Now I usually can't conquer anything much less the multiverse but I have been getting pretty good at playing Magic cards and Nicol Bolas happened to be one of my latest acquisitions and as it turns out he was acquiring me , much like he did with Sarkhan and Tezzeret. I remember it now, how easily my friend gave me this Planeswalker, he of the colors of Grixis, red and blue and black. Many people are daunted to play the scheming dragon but if they listened like I did the dragon would find a way for you.


Nicol Bolas Whispers Deck

4 X Dragonskull Summit
4 X Crumbling Necropolis
4 X Drowned Catacomb
3 X Tainted Isle
6 X Swamps
_________
21 Lands

1 X Nicol Bolas
3 X Jace Beleren
3 X Liliana Vess
1 X Chandra Nalaar
____________
8 Planeswalkers

4 X Rotting Rots
4 X Liliana's Specter
4 X Mind Shrieker
1 X Sheoldred , The Whispering One
1 X Szadek
1 X Nemesis of Reason
1 X Krederekt Leviathan
_____________
16 Creatures

2 X Traumatize
2 X Haunting Echoes
2 X Breakthrough
3 X Diabolic Tutor
4 X Counter Spell
2 X Zombify
____________
15 Spells


So like a mad scientist I went to my room, there the tomes where great magic was bound (read as 4 pocket binders with 4 copies of a magic card neatly tucked in). My tomes were high as I believe myself a man who can afford what he wants ( especially if they were selling it at a much lower price than the ones in starcitygames.com)…So there I was listening and on my way to building a tri-colored deck…I have always been a necromancer by 2nd nature , my first nature was that of a Fire Mage that burns everything that can be seen , so the dragon played on that , it would be a mill deck that can destroy an opponent by unmercifully picking at his mind ( his library) , whittling it away until there was none left or it can be stand up beat down with an assortment of creatures from different planes.

"It sucks to mill a land..."
Another Planeswalker was added to the mix in the form of Jace Beleren , he would be another muscle in this tri-colored piece and since this would be an experiment in utility , there would be singleton copies of various cards , Sheoldred the Phyrexian praetor that allowed you to summon directly from the graveyard , Szadek , a merciless vampire who milled you , Nemesis of Reason , that did the same only 10 cards at a time per attack, then a copy of Mindshrieker , the bird spirit that allowed you to fill your graveyard and make it bigger in the process almost for a lethal attack each time you paid for its ability as the deck was made to hold several large mana requiring behemoths like the aforementioned creatures . Imagine revealing four 8 mana costing creatures and spells in a row and its goodbye to your opponent.!!!


"Huh?What am I doing here?"


The dragon made sure that there was plenty of control, hand disruption like Rotting Rats and Liliana's Specters were in attendance, card drawers in Breakthrough and Tutoring effects in Diabolic tutor. It was not the perfect fit but Nicol Bolas was happy and with this deck I set off to duel and vanquish my enemies, who are not really my enemies because they are my friends and afterwards we would actually rave about the great ideas that were incorporated into making the deck. Nicol Bolas just won’t listen. He calls it vanquishing foes. I call it having a great time.

     After playing with it though, it was just really good that it can win and win convincingly after a beat down or a mill especially when Nicol Bolas and Jace would play together. It was straight up mill and disruption until no viable threats can be ascertained either by an empty hand or a dwindling library. Nicol Bolas is still flexing his muscles after his victories. Me, I’m just tired from having so much fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment