Tuesday, August 25, 2026

"The Last Room"

"The Last Room"

by:

Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD


By the time the emergency department quieted down, it was nearly two in the morning.


Not because there were fewer patients.


Only because there was finally enough space between the ambulances for everyone to breathe.


Dr. Kenji Aizawa leaned against the nurses' station, eyes closed for exactly four seconds before another resident handed him a chart.


"Last one."


He almost laughed.


"They always say that."


Seventeen hours.


Two cardiac arrests.


A child with appendicitis.


A construction worker with a shattered pelvis.


One elderly woman who had squeezed his hand after surviving surgery.


He hadn't eaten anything more substantial than convenience store bread since breakfast.


When he finally walked outside, Tokyo greeted him with humid summer air and streets that looked strangely peaceful.


As if none of the night's chaos had happened.


He checked the station timetable.


"...You've got to be kidding."


The last train had left twelve minutes ago.


Across town—


Umi Hoshino wanted nothing more than to erase every trace of makeup from her face.


Today's gravure shoot had begun before sunrise.


Three locations.


A swimsuit campaign.


An interview.


Two livestreams.


A magazine cover.


Smiling.


Laughing.


Looking energetic.


Looking glamorous.


Looking effortless.


By midnight, even lifting her camera bag felt like work.


Her manager had apologized at least ten times after the schedule overran.


"I'm so sorry, Umi..."


"It's fine."


"It isn't."


"It happens."


Now she stood in front of the empty station entrance.


The display blinked mercilessly.


Service Ended.


"...Ah."


She simply stared.


"...Right."


The last train.


Gone.


A taxi finally dropped both strangers in front of the same small business hotel.


The lobby was warm.


Comfortable.


Almost sleepy.


The elderly receptionist bowed repeatedly.


"I'm terribly sorry."


Kenji already knew what came next.


"We only have..."


The receptionist looked embarrassed.


"...one room remaining."


He sighed.


"That's fine."


Before the key appeared—


Another voice interrupted.


"...Excuse me."


Kenji turned.


A young woman wearing a baseball cap, oversized hoodie, sunglasses despite it being night, and carrying enough luggage for a small vacation.


The receptionist's smile became even more apologetic.


"I'm afraid..."


She looked between them.


"...there is only one room left."


Silence.


The receptionist swallowed.


"...One bed."


Five minutes later.


Both stood awkwardly in the elevator.


No one spoke.


Kenji looked exhausted enough to fall asleep standing.


Umi looked like she hadn't smiled sincerely in hours.


Finally—


She removed her sunglasses.


"...You won't recognize me, right?"


Kenji blinked.


"...Should I?"


She stared.


"..."


"..."


Then laughed.


It came out unexpectedly.


"...That's refreshing."


"I work too much to watch television."


"Oh."


Another pause.


"I'm Umi."


"Kenji."


"Nice to meet you."


Likewise.


The room really did only have one bed.


A queen-sized one.


Nothing fancy.


No sofa.


No spare futon.


Just enough floor space for luggage.


Kenji looked around.


"...I'll sleep on the floor."


Umi immediately shook her head.


"You'll wake up unable to move."


"I'm used to uncomfortable places."


"So am I."


Silence again.


Then—


"We're adults."


Kenji nodded.


"...True."


"We're both exhausted."


"...Very."


"I don't think either of us has enough energy to be awkward."


"...Probably not."


She smiled.


"...Let's just sleep."


Ten minutes later—


Both lay on opposite edges of the mattress.


Still fully clothed.


Blanket neatly divided.


A distance of nearly half the bed between them.


The room remained quiet.


Neither reached for their phones.


Neither had enough energy.


Eventually—


"...Doctor?"


Kenji opened one eye.


"...How did you know?"


"Your hospital ID is still around your neck."


"..."


He sighed.


"I forgot."


"You must be exhausted."


"...A little."


"You look worse than I do."


"I probably am."


She laughed softly.


"I've spent all day pretending to look beautiful."


"I've spent all day trying to keep people alive."


"..."


"..."


"I think your day wins."


"I don't know."


He looked at the ceiling.


"People think doctors are stronger than they are."


She answered quietly.


"People think idols are happier than they are."


The words settled naturally.


Without drama.


Without pity.


Just honesty.


"What do you actually do?" Kenji asked.


She hesitated.


"I'm a gravure model."


"Oh."


"...That's it?"


"I said I don't watch television."


She smiled.


"I suppose."


"My grandmother probably knows you."


"...Your grandmother?"


"She buys every magazine."


Umi burst into genuine laughter.


The first real laugh she'd had all week.


"You know..."


She stared at the ceiling.


"It's strange."


"What is?"


"I should be uncomfortable."


"Because I'm a stranger?"


"Yes."


"And?"


"I'm not."


Kenji considered that.


"...Neither am I."


"Why?"


"I think..."


He searched for the words.


"...we're both too tired to pretend."


She thought about that.


He was right.


No polished smiles.


No carefully chosen words.


No flirting.


No expectations.


Just two people whose jobs demanded so much from them that tonight there was simply nothing left except honesty.


"Do people thank you?" she asked.


"Sometimes."


"Does it help?"


"...Yes."


"You deserve more."


He looked at her.


"You too."


She blinked.


"For smiling when you don't feel like it."


She stared quietly into the darkness.


"...Nobody says that."


Outside, rain began falling softly against the window.


Tokyo became quieter still.


Somewhere around four in the morning—


Neither remembered drifting closer.


Not intentionally.


Simply because sleeping humans moved.


When Kenji briefly woke, he realized one thing.


Umi's shoulder rested lightly against his arm.


She was sound asleep.


For the first time all day—


She looked younger.


Peaceful.


No cameras.


No lights.


No makeup.


Just someone who had finally stopped performing.


He smiled faintly.


Adjusted the blanket over her shoulder so she wouldn't get cold.


Then closed his eyes again.


Morning sunlight slipped through the curtains.


Umi woke first.


She blinked.


Looked down.


Realized she was using Kenji's shoulder as a pillow.


"..."


She froze.


Slowly looked upward.


He was still asleep.


Hair messy.


Dark circles beneath his eyes.


One hand still loosely holding the edge of the blanket he'd apparently pulled over both of them during the night.


She smiled.


Not embarrassed.


Not alarmed.


Just... strangely comfortable.


For someone she had met only hours ago.


Almost as though they had unknowingly spent years carrying similar burdens.


When Kenji finally stirred awake, he noticed her looking out the window.


"Morning."


She turned with a sleepy smile.


"Morning, Doctor."


He stretched carefully.


"I hope I wasn't a terrible roommate."


She laughed.


"I was about to say the same thing."


For a brief moment, neither of them rushed to leave.


Outside, the city was already hurrying into another busy day.


Inside that modest hotel room, two exhausted strangers shared one last quiet cup of instant coffee before stepping back into their separate worlds—both carrying the unexpected comfort of a night where nothing remarkable had happened, except finding someone who understood the weight of simply being tired.


No comments:

Post a Comment