Monday, February 4, 2013

“Just A Drop”




“Just A Drop”
By:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr. 


Perfection can be achieved. It can only last for seconds or a couple of minutes but I guess that’s all it was really meant to be.

I remember while I was still in the theater, a specific exercise called for us to be a certain character then shift to another one all in a short a varying time sequence. Normally you would not get the characters perfected since this calls for instantaneous improvisation. Our facilitator told us to try but to not be disappointed. We can achieve it but only for an instant. So we held our voices and our faces  and eventually got it. Perfection against change.

I remember giving CPR, every pump that I gave to the patient meant that blood and air will be coursing through him. I remember seeing the spikes on the monitor, their rhythms perfect, like that of a normal heartbeat even though our patient had stopped breathing for almost 3 minutes. Then as we continued to work, the interlocking mechanisms of all efforts bore fruit , a weak pulse , a steadying rhythm. Perfection in execution, lasting for a few minutes that saved a life.

I remember seeing my child for the first time, an ultrasound , an image of her as she moved about in her mothers womb , then in an instant she turned. I saw her well formed hands, her legs ,her face. It was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. This being that was part of me. Perfection captured in a single instant as she turned.

                I do not believe in our finest hours. We only have finest minutes or seconds.  Finest in the finite. If perfection would be stretched out, the world would be a stagnant place. So lets continue being imperfect beings with a heart for perfection , that is the key to our success.  


No comments:

Post a Comment